It’s been our pleasure to host a few events lately with Google Canada. When you hang out with Google peeps, you don’t just get inspired, you start thinking about search engine rankings a lot more. And since nearly all of our clients care a great deal about where they show up on Google, I thought I’d write seven basic DIY steps to get the party started for you:
1. Think of the keywords/search phrases you want to be known for. When you’re coming up with these, don’t think like an industry professional. Think like a very average person. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Got a few words/phrases? Write them down and let’s move on.
2. Click the following link: Google My Business. Spend time there filling in their easy-to-follow wizard.
3. Create a YouTube channel. Do one video per week with your smartphone. Tag it properly, with the right keywords (remember step one?) in the video title and description.
4. Get a blog on your site. Post interesting stuff with links to cool content. Show who you are and do posts that people want to read. Remember to include words from all-important step number one.
5. Write a basic article about the Top 3 or Top 5 things (from step one, again) that show you’re an expert. Include a high res image to show that you are a resource and have vital information as an expert. Provide this for your local papers, local bloggers and anyone who writes about your topic of interest. If you really want to succeed, provide a fun giveaway to incentivize them to post your article.
6. Ensure that your website is built with proper photo tagging, keywords, and phrases throughout the site and that the back end of the site is legible (no gobble or gook). You can hire someone to do this for you, but just know that it’s not rocket science. Just make your website readable, with words from step one.
7. If you have an account with Google, get started on some simple AdWords ads. These will help you show up when people search for you. Google is great and will let you run multiple keywords at the same time, so you don’t have to use the words from step one exclusively.
Written by: Darian Kovacs: For more info – > www.dariankovacs.com